In the context of the 12th National Maritime Conference, Europe’s largest shore-side electricity structure is being unveiled in the Port of Rostock-Warnemünde today. The celebration is being attended by Federal Minister for Economic Affairs and Energy Peter Altmaier, Federal Government Coordinator for the Maritime Industry Norbert Brackmann, Minister-President Manuela Schwesig, Minister for Agriculture in Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania Harry Glawe, and the Mayor of Rostock, Claus Ruhe Madsen.
Says Economic Affairs Minister Peter Altmaier: “Today’s motto in the Port of Rostock-Warnemünde is ‘Green power on – diesel engines off’. We are celebrating the beginning of operations at Europe’s largest shore-side electricity infrastructure. This sends a strong message about Germany and for climate action. Shore-side power makes it possible to supply vessels calling at the port with green electricity. This helps clean up the air in our ports, reduces noise and overall greenhouse gas emissions too. We want many more sea and inland ports to follow this example, which is why we are providing €176 million in federal funding up to 2024 to roll out climate-friendly shore-side electricity infrastructure.
The shore-side electricity infrastructure at the Port of Rostock-Warnemünde, which was financed using federal, state, and municipal funding and completed in 2020, has a capacity sufficient to supply up to two cruise ships for the duration of their call at the port. This translates to 2 times 16 megawatts, making the installation Europe’s largest. It allows vessels to turn off their turbines during their time at the port and to use renewable energy instead.
The shore-side electricity infrastructure at the Port of Rostock-Warnemünde cost approx. €19 million to complete, with the Federation and the Land of Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania each shouldering 50% of the 90% of the funding they provide towards this sum. The remaining 10% of the cost is being covered by the City of Rostock.