The restructuring of Germany's energy supply planned by the government to take place up to 2050 on the basis of high efficiency and the widespread use of renewable energy can only be achieved if there are substantial technological innovations in almost all components of the energy system. For these reasons, energy research is a strategic element of energy and economic policy as we undertake our energy transition. The new orientation of energy policy is thus also resulting in new principles for the Federal Government's energy research policy, particularly regarding applied research.
In view of this, the Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy is bringing together its measures in the field of non-nuclear energy research, and is systematically developing the . This covers the entire energy chain, from energy provision and conversion to transport and distribution, including storage, and its use in various sectors.
The funding goes to research and development projects for renewable energy and energy efficiency in the following fields:
Information on the funding procedure
Information on research projects
The Federal Government supports the processing of findings and targeted dissemination of information in the energy sector, mainly using the BINE Information Service and its various energy research portals. The BINE information service offers several series of brochures and newsletters:
- on the latest findings from research and demonstration projects
- on the current status of thematic priorities in energy research
- explains fundamental energy issues clearly and precisely
- reports about the latest progress and findings of ongoing projects
The BINE information service also manages the energy research portals of the Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and energy:
- - Energy storage research initiative
- - Research for electricity grids for the future
- - Research for energy efficiency in industry und commerce, trade and services
- - Research for energy-optimised building
- and - Research for the energy-efficient city and energy-efficient heating and cooling networks
- - Research for new generations of power stations
Research on nuclear safety and final disposal
Further to this, the Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy also provides funding towards research into nuclear safety and final disposal, which plays a special role due to political requirements.